Wednesday, June 5, 2013

SECRET(ly) AGENT(leman)

The last Chupacabra image for now! Diced up chupas all over the...



The last Chupacabra image for now! Diced up chupas all over the zone!

PS: I'll be at Heroes Con in Charlotte NC this weekend (June 7-9th). Come on by table AA-823 and say hi! I'll be there with my pal Ivan Brandon talking about some upcoming comics releases and generally chilling it out nerd style. We'll have some posters and stuff for folks to buy.

Another Chupacabra image! Escaping on bikes! Very chompy.



Another Chupacabra image! Escaping on bikes! Very chompy.

Hey you guys! My friend Rob Boocheck is making a horror movie...



Hey you guys! My friend Rob Boocheck is making a horror movie about chupacabras! He asked me to do some concept work for it based on a few action scenes in his script! This stuff is a little more color/light complex than the more graphic stuff I usually do, and it was fun to experiment a little stylistically. The movie will be live action, but he and I are also working on an animated project together! More images to follow!

Mot-dièse! A spot about using Twitter in France for Wired. Who...



Mot-dièse! A spot about using Twitter in France for Wired. Who better to dance nonchalantly with wine service for two on their head than a french computer?

Great illustrations. do a comic dude or something like that.

Thanks very much!

I am totally working on it. Should be comics in the near future for sures! One called "Doom Cannon" and another called "Double Cross". Keep your peepers a-peepin!

Last (and sexiest) in that series of running spots for Wired. I...



Last (and sexiest) in that series of running spots for Wired. I know the ol' anchor tattoo is a little played out, but I totally think that dude would rock one of those non-ironically.

Another piece from the same series for Wired! A snowman in a...



Another piece from the same series for Wired! A snowman in a derby, moon-boots, and bright orange leggins? Yes.

One of 3 spot illustrations about themed running events for...



One of 3 spot illustrations about themed running events for Wired.

Portrait of Rhiannon "Ritzy" Bryan of The Joy...



Portrait of Rhiannon "Ritzy" Bryan of The Joy Formidable for the New Yorker! Thanks Jordan!

OH! Also, there's a giant robot.





OH! Also, there's a giant robot.

Other Doom Cannon characters (see previous post)! I had the most...



Other Doom Cannon characters (see previous post)! I had the most fun noodling around with these guys.

These are some character drawings I did a little while back for...



These are some character drawings I did a little while back for a project I'm working on! It's called Doom Cannon, and it's kind of a riff on teen robot pilot cartoons (Voltron, Evangelion, etc). Like most illustration types, I think character design is one of the best parts of the job. I'll probably throw a bunch of these up here!

Hey! Remember these guys? Duh dut duh dut dah dut duh duh dut...



Hey! Remember these guys? Duh dut duh dut dah dut duh duh dut dahhhh!

your avatar is outdated.

It's vintage!

wanna hug~?~

Sure, I'm into it! So long as you don't get your pepperonis all over me.

Also, some details on that jam! Vicious times my friends,...







Also, some details on that jam! Vicious times my friends, vicious goblin slaying lady-times.

Remember that post I did about composition a couple weeks ago?...



Remember that post I did about composition a couple weeks ago? Well this is the drawing I built on top of that mess. It's about a dragon butcher and his daughters. They fight off goblins while he carves up choice cuts of sweet sweet dragon meats.

It's for the Lady Knights/Women Warriors zine put together by my pals Abby Boeh, Roxie Vizcarra, and Julia Scott! It'll be available at MoCCA this year, April 6th through the 7th. There are so many top flight illustrators in it! Go get it and soak in all of the badass lady-action!

Working on some layouts for a mod themed poster! Some bits of...







Working on some layouts for a mod themed poster! Some bits of these are loosey goosey, but I thought it might be nice to peep them out. I'm probably going to land on something completely different in the end. Have a sweet art peepin' day, art peepers!

Oh, whoops! I forgot to post the final version of that Prince...



Oh, whoops! I forgot to post the final version of that Prince piece I did for the New Yorker! Dear Prince, you are the greatest ever. Thank you so much for endless impossible amounts of radness. The end.

your compositions are really fun and dynamic is there anything you do in your process that helps you come up with them?

Well, I'm working on a piece right now that's got a lot going on in it composition-wise. I'm by no means an expert on this sort of thing, and the fast answer is that I move things around till they look good! This is a sample of my super rough compositional under-drawing/sketch. A few things I try to keep in mind are: Avoid a lot of boring parallel lines. Take advantage of not just the x & y axis but also use z to create a little depth and make the foreground middle ground and background separate. Frame the piece in by directing the eye toward the important parts of the piece and not off the page. Try to take advantage of the real estate on your page but don't clutter it up. Design the page overall first and then think about details (I have no idea what these people really look like yet. No costume details etc). Don't make too many same-size things (it stagnates your composition). Don't be afraid to crop things and do it in interesting ways. Do lots of thumbnail sketches. Don't get too precious about certain areas of your drawing. Be willing to change it completely until it looks right to you. Draw a whole bunch all the time until you get it. It clicks eventually. I think good composition is one of the hardest bits. Once mine got a little better and I stopped doing puppet show looking stuff my work improved a ton.

Hope this was a little helpful! I don't usually write a bunch of silly notes on my sketches. They're just there to show you how I'm thinking about the diagonal lines and sizes of stuff in the piece so far!

Thanks for writing!

—->d.

No comments:

Post a Comment